Thursday, November 24, 2011

I think yahoo answers is GREAT! I've learned everything from politics, history, religion all the way through sex education. Stuff I cant share with my parents Ive been able to find the answers. Anyway I've been using a lot of the information already in school. How do I cite it as a reference. Do I say from a source in Yahoo Answers? I just have been writing it in my reports mainly social studies and biology and not saying it came from Yahoo but crediting it to another source. I think all you great people who take the time to give me such good information and advice should get credit for your great work.|||I get very angry when people try to have Yahoo Answers people do their homework. If your teacher knows that you're using Yahoo as a substitute for homework, I'm betting they give you a ZERO. It's horrible - each night I see people who are obviously posting their homework here, even when it would be quicker to google the answer.

The only difference would be someone who takes some sort of opinion or experience poll. Even then it would be very unscientific and of little value aside from some colorful comments. If you do that then I'd print out the web pages you're gonna quote, and have those ready if the teacher / prof asks for them.|||As a social studies teacher and history major, I can tell you that these would NOT be credible sources.

After all, how do you r e a l l y know that what I say is true?

Sources worthy of citations must be reliable beyond doubt. Remember - primary sources, secondary sources, wild guesses!|||I am new, and have already answered many physics and mathematics questions along with elaboration in psychology and philosophy...

However, you stated that you first blamed the information on other sources, ones that may not include someone telling you the answer... I think it is best for you to credit the information to another source, because a teacher may not like the idea of you getting answers straight from someone else.

Paraphrasing is great, that way you can give credit to not only many sources, you can also give credit to yourself. :)|||Because you are trusting the accuracy of the information given by an unknown third party, it would be best to double check your answers. I could tell you quite believable that there are actually 8 species of trout that live in the waters of New York State, but that doesn't mean it's true.

If they give a reference, just verify it, and use that as your reference. You're still getting the information from that, you just had a third party point you in the right direction. If they don't, do a Google or ask.com search to try a confirm the data on a reliable website, not just something someone has posted. Now that you have the answer, it should be easier to find something which corroborates it.|||use it as if it were a question answer thing... an interview.
give credit to the name of ther person or the screen name i assume... look on citationmachine.net for the interview citation|||i think you could--I've seen references in books quite a lot as 'personal communication' date and time, but those are generally well-known people. You could try to contact the answerer in order to get permission to quote and to find out a little bit more about their credibility. I know I do my best to be accurate, but from some of the answers I read, not every one does!
As another poster wrote, I would definately check up on answers that you receive here from other sources--surely they are teaching you in school ways to judge the credibility of a website.
In fact, you could simply say to your teachers, "I've been using Yahoo Answers as a first source when trying to find something out. Should I cite that person as well as the other sources I go to to verify that answer or not?" Then you'd know for sure what that teacher wants! (and you will note, I've implied you always have verified the answer you got from Answers)|||I agree with everyone else. I would be very surprised to find a teacher that would accept yahoo answers as a credible source. I would take the information I found out on here, search for it, confirm it, and then cite THAT source. If you cite yahoo answers directly a teacher probably wouldn't count it as a source, which I suppose is fine unless you need a minumum amount of sources.

If it's an opinion report, you could cite other peoples opinions kind of like youd cite them when referring to an interview.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment